Close X

Can my mother take custody of my child because I am a lesbian?

Posted by Michael G. Butash | Aug 11, 2017 | 0 Comments

Can my mother take custody of my child because I am a lesbian?

Your mother can not take custody of your child because you are a lesbian. It is not against the law in the state of Florida to be a lesbian. You can be a perfect parent and still be a lesbian. The only time that grandparents have any rights to custody of children is through a specific emergency motion in the state of Florida called an emergency motion for a temporary custody of a minor child by an extended family member. In that case, the grandparent will have to show the court that you are doing something as the parent that is causing peril to the child, and that parent, that extended family member, is the one that should have custody of the child until you get things back on track. Being a lesbian, being gay, that is not a reason for any kind of action.

About the Author

Michael G. Butash

Michael G. Butash Stetson University College of Law Florida State University Former State Prosecutor Mike grew up in the Tampa Bay area and graduated from Stetson University College of Law in 1997. He was immediately hired as an Assistant State Attorney for the 6th Judicial Circuit (Pinellas/...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

“Choosing The Proper Attorney Is The Single Most Important Decision That You Could Be Making In Your Life.”

Have any questions?

Click the button below to view our “Publications and Opinions” page, where we might have the information & advice you are looking for!

Click Here To View Publications and Opinions

Think You Have A Case?

Connect With Us Today!

There Is No Commitment; And We Will Quickly Inform You Of How We Can Help.


Cash App CashTag- $ButashLaw

Venmo - @ButashLaw

Butash Law Group
23554 State Road 54
Lutz, FL 33559
(813) 341-2232
Brooksville Location - By Appointment Only
306 S Broad St , #2520
Brooksville, FL 34601