Close X

How do I get divorce by default in Florida?

Posted by Michael G. Butash | Aug 11, 2017 | 0 Comments

How do I get divorce by default in Florida?

Well, there are multiple ways that you could get a divorce by default in the State of Florida. The most common is what's called a clerk's default where when the opposing party is served with your initial pleading, your petition for dissolution of marriage, they have 20 days to file a responsive pleading which is usually an answer. It could be several other things. If they don't do that, then the clerk can approve what's called a clerk's default and the court will determine that the other party does not wish to participate in the litigation. Other ways are once the case is ongoing, you could apply for a file for a judicial default which is where you have to have a hearing in front of a judge and a judge would determine whether or not the person is defaulted.

About the Author

Michael G. Butash

Michael G. Butash Stetson University College of Law Florida State University Former State Prosecutor Mike grew up in the Tampa Bay area and graduated from Stetson University College of Law in 1997. He was immediately hired as an Assistant State Attorney for the 6th Judicial Circuit (Pinellas/...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

“Choosing The Proper Attorney Is The Single Most Important Decision That You Could Be Making In Your Life.”

Have any questions?

Click the button below to view our “Publications and Opinions” page, where we might have the information & advice you are looking for!

Click Here To View Publications and Opinions

Think You Have A Case?

Connect With Us Today!

There Is No Commitment; And We Will Quickly Inform You Of How We Can Help.


Cash App CashTag- $ButashLaw

Venmo - @ButashLaw

Butash Law Group
23554 State Road 54
Lutz, FL 33559
(813) 341-2232
Brooksville Location - By Appointment Only
306 S Broad St , #2520
Brooksville, FL 34601